In a way, this is a trick question, because truly optimal foot health requires care and attention that most of us don’t give to our feet. Unless you are one of the very few people who actually follows a regular foot care routine, your feet are bound to have some complaints.
The irony is that a lot of the things we do that improve our health in general – such as running, walking, kicking a soccer ball around, or jumping rope – can also be putting a further burden on our feet!
As a reference point, let’s look at some simple aspects of optimal foot health:
- Toe nails are clear and smooth, and don’t dig into or put pressure on the toes
- Skin is smooth and supple, without cracks, rough patches, or blisters
- Foot muscles, joints, and tendons feel flexible, relaxed, and are pain-free. Try our Foot Test to see how well your arches are performing.
If your foot health seems less than optimal, there are some simple steps you can take to make improvements:
- Regularly trim your toe nails. Cut them straight across and file any sharp corners with an emery board rather than cutting the corners off. Cutting them can cause painful ingrown toe nails. If your nails are thick, brittle, discoloured, or ingrown, see your doctor or chiropodist for treatment.
- Moisturize your skin regularly with a deep-penetrating lotion or cream. Use a pumice stone to remove dry patches and callouses. Make sure your shoes are not rubbing or irritating your skin.
- Give yourself a foot massage to relieve tired, achy foot muscles, joints, and tendons. Relaxed feet are less prone to strains, pulled muscles and tendons, and general tiredness. Also, make sure your shoes fit properly and provide enough support and cushioning. Replace damaged shoes and consider orthodics. If you have frequent aches and pains in your feet, bunions, persistent infections, or any other concerns, your chiropodist can help.
You can find more detailed foot health tips on our Overworked Feet page. If you have any questions or concerns about your foot health or conditions you are facing, please give us a call and book an appointment. We love to help our clients improve their quality of life through improving the quality of their feet!